Recent update

Subscribe to RSS feed

stars programs

July 23rd, 2009 by desi

Growing up is a tough business, and teachers take the majority of the brunt of this never-ending train. In my opinion, middle school is definitely one of the most awkward times for a growing adolescent. Thinking back to my own middle school days, I remember getting little paper stars that I would collect each week. They would then lead up to a prize like no homework for a night or extra credit, although I only remember using just one of them for such.

I’ve always like collecting things, things that other people want. I left after those two years with more paper stars than I could count, and completing all my work, but then again I was always the person who didn’t mind doing their school work for classes.

In the token economy that we were thrust into in seventh and eighth grade, we learned the idea of rewarding good behavior and how pro-social behavior can be helpful in life and your pursuits. The external rewards were a driving factor for our learning experience, and for gaining an insight as to what is expected of our actions in life.

In Erik Erikson’s stage of elementary school, he truly defines where a token economy and external rewards really come into the psychosocial development of a human being. The elementary school complex involves competence vs. inferiority where we learn how to apply ourselves to tasks. Obtaining rewards for these tasks allows us to feel competent, and accomplished, and allow us to go on to lead successful lives.

Posted in genpsych | | Comments Off on stars programs

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.